Thank you for your interest in the Youth Suicide Prevention Durham (YSPD). YSPD is a collaborative partnership with representation from a variety of sectors including education, health, community-based mental health and addictions service, child protection youth justice and more. We recognize that prevention of suicide cannot be accomplished by one person, organization or institution alone; it requires support from the whole community.
In an effort to build a "suicide-safer community" YSPD has had many successes and accomplishments to date, which include:
- Launching the Durham-specific version of the Be Safe app, a resource for children and youth experiencing crisis. This app is also now available in the French Language;
- Providing free Train-the-Trainer opportunities for safeTalk trainers;
- Providing low-cost Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) and safeTalk sessions for community members through our network of trainers;
- Supporting all sectors to recognize youth at risk along with providing sustainability by ensuring all sectors have trained trainers;
- Observing and supporting World Suicide Prevention Day on an annual basis.
- Developing a Community Report on Youth Suicide Prevention in Durham Region to identify the community, organization and individual strengths and needs pertaining to youth suicide prevention, as discussed through community forums;
- Initiating the New Mentality Youth Group for Durham Region, in an effort to provide an opportunity to engage with youth in a preventative manner;
- Developing and sharing Media Reporting Guidelines with our media partners;
- Creating the Community Guidelines for Youth Suicide Postvention;
- Creating a suicide prevention wallet card Know What to Say and Do - Preventing Youth Suicide;
On behalf of the Youth Suicide Prevention Durham,